Sunday, July 7, 2013

More Hexagons

A new book out called Quick and Easy Hexie Quilts by Rhodes & Woods shows another way to make hexagons any size without using freezer paper or any kind of template. You simply cut circles and then stitch about 7 well-placed tiny stitches and you have your hexagon done. Talk about fast!!! And if you have an Accu cutter with a circle template you can really get the circles done quickly too. I made these hexagons from a layer cake of batiks, using the Accu cutter to cut 10 inch circles. The layer cake will make 5 complete flowers. I have decided to sew them into placemats using my 60 degree ruler to make the background. 





Another flower ready for hand stitching together. I do a whip stitch with matching thread color.



Here is the first hexagon flower hand appliqued onto the background that will eventually be used as a placemat or topper. My plan is to sew the backing and batting with right sides together leaving an opening to turn back to right sides out. I will machine stitch around the edge 1/4 inch that will close up the opening and help to finish the edge. Then I will do machine quilting around the hexagons and 1/4 inch along inside edges to help secure the layers.

These will be awesome placemats to use in my new house wherever or whenever.....


QUICK & EASY HEXIE QUILTS - PEGGY G. RHODES JULIA C. WOOD (PAPERBACK) NEW on eBay!.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment