Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Custom Quilting

This is a recent custom quilting job I did for a customer's first grand daughter due next month. Loved quilting this one. So cute.

Monday, November 20, 2017

Just Can't Cut It

Just Can't Cut It is a quilt pattern perfect for using when you have a gorgeous fabric you don't want to cut. It takes 5 coordinating fabrics with easy blocks and a couple of borders. The pattern gives fabric amounts and measurements for 3 sizes of quilts. I made these 2 twin size quilts for my granddaughters when they come to my home.

Batik fabrics.

I still need to hang the butterfly and want to get night stands with matching lamps.

The pillow cases are made from A Flutter fabric panel.

I quilted with a large swirl and feathers surrounding the swirls.

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Bargello In William Morris fabrics

A recent finish is this lap size bargello quilt made in all William Morris fabrics. The pattern is No-Measure Bargello. I chose to quilt in edge-to-edge feathers following the movement of the bargello design.
This quilt is hanging at Quilts at the Marshall House. The shop has an excellent selection of Wm. Morris fabrics including the newest line.

A little close up of the feathers. They are fun to quilt.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Kids Quilts

It is so hard to resist new children's fabric when it comes in at the shop. Just had to make these. One is using Sidelights II pattern and the other is a Yellow Brick Road. The last one with the farm animals is just a panel with a border.

Doodle Days panel in Sidelight II modified pattern.

Yellow Brick Road. Just loved the little critters on the fabric and soft yellows.

Just added a border to farm panel. This one had cut out animals that are flannel-backed so play a matching game with quilt.

Friday, October 20, 2017

New William Morris

Quilts at the Marshall House now has the new William Morris line of fabric with jelly rolls and layer cakes. Hmmm....what will I make?????

Monday, October 2, 2017

Doodle Day

Just had to get this panel for a child's quilt and some coordinating fabrics. I will use the Sidelights pattern adjusting the measurements to fit this panel and using some of the little critters as the "sidelights".
Critters are adorable. Fabric available at Quilts at the Marshall House.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Forest Friends Bowls

These cute little "bowls" are easy and fun to make using Bosal double-sided fusible stabilizer. It is easily heated and molded into the shape you want. Wouldn't one of these be nice to add to a baby quilt gift featuring one of these forest friends?

Pattern used to make bowls. Good directions to follow.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Quilts at the Marshall House

Loving that I am back working at Quilts at the Marshall House in Marshall, Michigan. This is truly my family. I purchased a home a short walk away making it even more convenient to be here often.

Here is what I have been working on lately:

One Block Wonder Encore
All ready to be quilted as soon as my bobbin winder arrives from Handiquilter.

A better pic showing the cubes.

Gypsy Star. The center flower and branches are wool. This pic is before the borders. It can be seen hanging at
Quilts at the Marshall House.

The first block of Laura Heine's Garden Party quilt. This is being done with batiks and fusible applique.

Saturday, March 4, 2017

30's Reproduction String Quilt

I finished quilting the 30's reproduction fabric string quilt so just the binding needs to be done. Now my 30's dresden quilt is on the frame.
Backing is pieced and took almost as to make as the top. Using up that stash though and loving that.

On the frame half done with quilting.

Quilting done in feathers.

Love how the thread just blended in so well. Did make it hard to see while quilting though.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Taking Care of 30's Reproduction Stash

My work this week has focused on reducing and doing away with my huge 30's reproduction stash. I had a dresser drawer full and am now ready to move onto other fabrics and leave this one behind. To do this I am making one last quilt, a string quilt, and then cutting up pieces and putting it into other places in my fabric stash as it fits. Some will be donated to our quilt show boutique and some sold at a fabric
"garage sale" in June.

String blocks in progress. I am using muslin squares 10 1/2 inches as stabilizer.

Here is the back side to see the muslin. It helps to keep the bias stabilized.

The first finished block. I am using a white background 3 inch in the center of each block hoping to create an interesting design when the blocks are laid out.

2 1/2 inch, 2 inch, and 1 1/2 inch strips for scrap quilt stash.

5 inch squares, more 2 1/2 inch strips and quarter yard pieces.

Some bigger pieces waiting their turn for the cutting table.

The last pile to be pressed and cut. The dresser drawer is completely empty.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

30's Repro UFO Completed

Originally this quilt was going to be a queen size but it has ended up only a lap quilt in my desire to complete UFO's and loss of interest in 30's reproduction fabrics as well as Dresden blocks. This quilt became a problem because the size of the blocks did not work out mathematically.....very frustrating.

Notice how I was not able to line up the 2 inch patches. Just could not make it work. I also had to cut off the bottom of the center block. My flower pot is only half there. Even with that adjustment I couldn't work out the math.

Center with 4 Dresdens without the inner and outer borders.

Trying out border fabrics. I really wanted a nice floral for the outer border but it just wasn't in my stash.

Completed quilt top. Measures 44 by 65.